Event Phone: Brittany Attaway, (405) 278-2820
- February 8, 2018
3:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. – JRLR Training Sessions and Demos – Room 308
- 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. – Breakout Session (choose one to attend)
- 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. – Legislative Reception for all who attended Breakout Sessions – McLaughlin Hall, Third Floor
Join The Journal Record for our inaugural FIRST WEEK FORUM. This event will be a lively discussion of key issues facing our state government during the 2018 Legislative Session. This high profile, nonpartisan event is designed to inform attendees about hot topics and major issues facing our state and nation during the upcoming year.
Legislators, lobbyists and other interested individuals of our state will have the opportunity to attend one of the Breakout Sessions and then gather for a reception following the Sessions.
The Arnall Family Foundation is sponsoring the Criminal Justice Reform Panel, while Public Service Company of Oklahoma is sponsor of the Energy Panel. All sessions will include a moderator and two to three panelists from various viewpoints on the topic material.
Sessions and confirmed panelists include:
Criminal Justice Reform Panel, sponsored by Arnall Family Foundation – Room 309
- MODERATOR – Ted Streuli, Editor and Associate Publisher, The Journal Record
- Kris Steele – Former House Speaker and leader of Oklahomans for Criminal Justice Reform
- Kellie Howell – Criminal Defense Attorney, Sansone Howell Attorneys at Law
- Representative Jon Echols, District 90 – House majority floor leader; Attorney – Echols and Associates
Education Panel, sponsored by Oklahoma Oil and Gas Association – Room 509
- MODERATOR – Senator Jason Smalley, District 28 – Chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Education; member of the full Appropriations, Energy, Judiciary, and Education Committees
- Ginger Tinney – Executive Director, Professional Oklahoma Educators
- Robyn Miller – Deputy Superintendent for Educator Effectiveness & Policy Research
- David Chaney – Founder and Superintendent of EPIC Charter School
Energy Panel, sponsored by Public Service Company of Oklahoma – Room 507
- MODERATOR – John D. Harper, Vice President – External Affairs of Public Service Company of Oklahoma, American Electric Power
- Mark Yates – Oklahoma Director of the Oklahoma Wind Coalition
- Jim Roth – Former Oklahoma Corporation Commissioner; Energy & Natural Resources Practice Group and Chair of the Clean Energy Practice Group, Phillips Murrah Attorneys and Counselors at Law
- Chad Warmington, President of Oklahoma Oil & Gas Association
Health Care Panel, sponsored by Oklahoma City County Health Department – Room 510
- MODERATOR – Dr. Patrick McGough, DNP – Deputy Director, OKC-County Health Department
- Elizabeth “Libby” Scott – Crowe & Dunlevy Attorneys and Counselors at Law, Director; Healthcare and Administrative & Regulatory law
- Jonathan Small – President of Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs
- Senator Rob Standridge, District 15 – Pharmacist, Chairman of the Health Appropriations and Budget Committee, Vice-Chairman of the Health and Human Services Committee
Registration is free. Once a Session is full it will become unavailable to register. Those who attend a Session will be able to attend the Legislative Reception.
Parking and Entry:
- Parking is available in all lots – North, West and South. Attendees are allowed to use both student and faculty and staff parking. If parked in South lot, please park in area designated OCU Law School.
- Please enter through the Main Entrance on the West side of building. You will enter on the Plaza Level, above the Parking Garage where the tables and chairs are located.